Wednesday, June 10, 2015

La Ropa (Clothing)

Research:

People in Europe, including those in Spain, tend to have a higher standard of dress than people in the United States. Women going to the supermarket dress up and wear heels, looking like they are going to a fancy party rather than shopping for food. Because of this, sweatpants are not worn outside the house and gym shorts are only seen on those who are doing something sports related. Shorts in general are not as common. Most people will wear a dress or capris rather than shorts. Wearing shorts will oftentimes identify you as a tourists. (Note: If you try to visit a church in shorts, oftentimes they will turn you away.)

The types of shoes they wear are also different. Flip-flops are not worn and tennis shoes or sneakers are not common although some say that converse are the only acceptable type.  Most women will wear heels or nicer shoes so make sure that you have a nice pair of sandals or dressier shoes instead of sneakers.

For this trip, I have purchased a lot of dresses. I bought around 7 dresses with me. I also brought nicer pants that I could role up so that they could work as capris. I brought some nicer shirts to go with these pants. 

Experience:
 We walked around and I have seen people in shorts but a majority of women are wearing dresses. Many of the host moms that picked us up wore comfortable dresses and nicer shoes. My host mom wore a comfortable, informal dress and I felt like I fit in with my capris and shirt (although in the afternoon, this was hot and so I will probably not be wearing those unless it is cooler out). Although I have seen some jean shorts, I haven't seen any long jeans yet.

People hear primarily wear sandals. My Señora wore them to pick us up. I have also seen quite a few pairs of heels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment