Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Mi Llegada en España (My Arrival in Spain)

We arrived around 9 in the morning at the Madrid Airport. It was really simple getting out, more so than I thought it would be. We followed a hallway and the signs to the baggage claim (they are in both English and Spanish), where we had to give our passports to customs before entering the baggage area. We found our luggage area and everyone got their luggage with no problems. Inside there was a place to exchange you money if you wanted to although I ended up not doing that. We then headed out of the baggage area where we met out professors. They took us to a bus that was rented for the KIIS students and we drive for about an hour till we arrived near the aqueducto. 

After that our host families, who were waiting for us, took us back to their houses. Our host mother, Lola, had an apartment  that was extremely close to the aqueduct so it wasn't that long of a drive. Mary, my roommate, and I got there and unpacked and then she took us on a walk to the plaza mayor where our classes are. After that we had lunch with her and her husband, Alfonso. We had gazpacho (a cold tomato soup that originates from Andalucia) along with baked chicken, potatoes, and melon for desert (which was better than any melon I have ever had in the United States). We then took a little nap and rested a bit before heading over to the aqueduct to meet with our group for orientation.
Dr. Melissa Stewart showed us around Segovia and some of the famous landmarks before we went to the KIIS office, where she answered questions we had and discussed plans for the nextfew days as well as rules. We then continued walking and saw the Alcazar, an old palace in Segovia.
We circled back around to the aqueduct, where we then separated, with Mary and I heading back to our house to shower and have dinner.

We had Spanish rice and a tomato salad. I actually like the tomato salad even thou I usually have trouble eating tomatoes. I only ate one piece of tomato though. We then had cherries and a Spanish fruit called Paraguaya for desert. The Paraguaya is delicious and is like peach with more flavor. It is amazing (It's now my favorite fruit). We ate on the balcony for dinner and Lola, Mary, and I talked for a while. I really feel like we are much closer even though it has only been one day. Hasta mañana!

No comments:

Post a Comment