Wednesday, May 13, 2015

La Primera Semana (The First Week)

Segovia is maravillosa (wonderful). The buildings are really pretty and I feel really comfortable in our apartment. I really really like our host mom and can't wait to get to know her better. The class seems interesting so far and I'm not having too much trouble settling in. However, there are some things that I am struggling with as we'll as things that I love about Spain. I thought I would make a list of both. 
Problems/Desafìos para mi (Problems/challenges for me)
1. Time Change
          Especially yesterday, this was a problem. Spain is 6 hours ahead of where I live and so it's been a challenge adapting to being this far ahead. The first day we were eating lunch, which felt like dinner because of the large Spanish lunch but it was breakfast time at home. That confused me a bit. 
2. AC is non-existent. 
          None of the buildings I have in so far have felt like they have an AC unit. In Spain, windows are left open so that a breeze can come in. This was only really a challenge when I am sleeping because of the sheets but throughout the day it's usually fine. It was hot yesterday but there was no humidity, which was nice compared to Kentucky and usually there is always a breeze.
3. Eating schedule
          Spaniards eat later than people in the U.S. They usually eat lunch around 2-3 p.m. and dinner around 8-9 pm. They eat about an hour later on Sunday's. This hasn't exactly been hard for me except for the fact that we eat breakfast early because of class and then eat lunch around 2. Our Señora gives us a snack which does help a lot. 
4. The language
           I haven't had too much trouble with understanding and responding but having to communicate in another language, no matter how good you are, is always going to be challenging.

Things I Love
1. The Food (no explanation needed and I'll probably do a blog on it anyway)
2. Balconies
          It seems like every apartment in Segovia has at least one balcony. I believe ours has two but one is screened in and is used as a laundry room. The other one has a small table and we have eaten out there before.
3. Within walking distance
         Because Segovia is so small, everything is really easy to get to without taking much time. To get to el Centro KIIS, we just have to walk down a street near our house and we are there in about 5 minutes. I really like this aspect.
4. The fruit
          Fruit is eaten as desert and snacks in Spain, something that I love. I also feel like the fruit tastes better as well, but that just could be because they are different types than I am used to. I have also discovered this new fruit called the paraguaya which is amazing!!!!! It's basically a sweater peach. In English, they area called Saturn Peaches.



I'll do another one of these at the end of next week if I have time. Hasta Luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment